Your Checklist for Austria

All you need to know for your trip to
the Kitzbühel Alps
Your Checklist for Austria

Find everything you need to know about your entry into and your stay in Austria.


In order to drive on Austrian motorways and expressways, you need to get a Vignette for each vehicle with a maximum weight of 3.5 tons. These can be obtained at the automobile clubs ÖAMTC and ARBÖ, as well as at Austrian and border petrol stations. Before you enter an Austrian motorways and expressways, the toll sticker should be displayed on the windscreen.

Toll Roads

Regardless if you obtained a vignette already, there are a couple of tunnels and mountain passes on which a toll has to be paid.


Nationals of all EU Member States and neighboring countries of Austria do not require a visa in order to enter Austria. Many other countries such as Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and USA don't require a visa as well. All other nationals need to get a visa for Austria. Visa requiring third-country nationals, who have already obtained a Schengen visa can use this visa to enter Austria.

If you are not sure if you require to apply for a visa, please get in touch with the Austrian embassy or consular office in your country.

Processing your request...
Thank You For Your Patience


Please note that this website is optimised for Internet Explorer 10 and higher, as well as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Safari. To ensure that you are able to use our website to its full extent, we kindly ask you to upgrade your browser version, or select a different one. Thank you.