On the shores of the Gulf of Oman is Muscat, the cosmopolitan capital of Oman. With a welcoming culture, stunning surroundings and range of experiences on offer, the city is a fantastic place to stay, and Kempinski Hotel Muscat is the premier luxury accommodation for anyone wanting to make the most out of this fantastic Middle Eastern destination.
If you are contemplating or preparing for your visit, here are some interesting facts to help you during your stay.
• The unit of currency is the Omani Rial (OMR) that comprises 1,000 baizas (bz).
• Omani cultural etiquette advises modest dress – men and women should cover their shoulders and knees, especially during the holy month of Ramadan.
• Refrain from taking pictures of military or government buildings, especially in ‘No Photo’ zones.
• Arabic is Oman’s official language, however, English is widely spoken throughout Muscat.
• Local time is GMT +4 hours.
• At the end of 2016, over 45% of Oman’s population were expatriates.
Highlights of Muscat include:
• Al Alam Palace: The Sultan's Palace in old Muscat is bordered by Al Jalali and Mirani forts and displays the unique architecture of the Omani Sultanate.
• Muttrah Souq: Spending an afternoon getting lost in the souq is a must while choosing from traditional Omani gifts and souvenirs, perfect to take back home.
• The Royal Opera House: Visit the country's leading arts and culture organisation, showcasing some of the world's most iconic musical and theatrical performances.
• Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque: A stunning building, housing the world's second-largest chandelier and a hand-woven Persian carpet that took an astonishing 600 weavers four years to create.
• Museums: The city has numerous historic and cultural museums, such as The National Museum, Bait Al Zubair, Omani French Museum, Sultan's Armed Forces Museum, Oman Children's Museum and Natural History Museum.
• Art Galleries: In recent times, Muscat has seen substantial developments in its local art scene, and there are plenty of places where visitors can explore local talent and experience world-class art exhibitions throughout the year. Some of the prominent galleries are Bait Al Baranda, Ghalya's Museum of Modern Art, Stal Gallery, MuscArt, Bait Muzna Gallery and Gallery Sarah.
Want to know more about Muscat? Contact the hotel via telephone on +968 24 98 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.