St Moritz, 30 September 2014 – A Swiss hotelier placed his bet in 1864 on the milestone for winter tourism in the Alps. He bet with his British guests that winter in the Engadine would be as sunny as the summer – and he won. After that bet, St Moritz became the birthplace of Alpine winter tourism. This anniversary will be celebrated in the upcoming winter 2014-15 at the Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains with many unique events.
With the Ski-Opening package, starting in early December, Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains St Moritz will kick off the celebrations for the winter jubilee. Chef Axel Rüdlin and his kitchen team will create culinary delights that are inspired by the hotel’s 150 years of gourmet history and reveal how it is implemented today. Classics like lobster, oysters and pigeon served in a modern and light way. The second day will be full of skiing and enjoying the spa and after a culinary break at the Kempinski bar, the hotel shuttle will drive up to the big anniversary event with an open-air concert by Xavier Naidoo. An extensive programme with a Bogner fashion show and a ski race in the heart of St Moritz are some of the other event highlights for opening weekend.
"We will celebrate two 150-year anniversaries. In the summer of 2014, it was the hotel's birthday and now it's winter tourism’s birthday, "said Reto Stöckenius, General Manager of the five-star hotel. "The guest can experience the pioneering spirit that St Moritz is named for, they get to experience a mix of traditional and current events, from sporting and sustainable activities to fun hotel packages and deals."
The winter 2014-15 season offers traditional telemark courses or curling, skeleton or bob runs on the only natural ice rink in the world, historical sightseeing flights with “Tante Ju”, classical and modern concerts, various exhibitions and readings, as well as the British version of the Gourmet Festival with guest chefs from England and the Lake Dance, a glitzy party on the ice. Of course, classics like Polo on Snow and the famous White Turf horse races will be a part of the season as well.
150 Years of Winter Tourism – The Offers
The Ski-Opening Package includes:
- Two nights in a Resort Double Room and a guaranteed upgrade to the next room category
- 150-year anniversary dinner in the restaurant Les Saisons
- Aperitif and "Signature Dish" at the Kempinski Bar before the big anniversary event on 6 December starts
- Two tickets to the open-air concert by Xavier Naidoo in the heart of St Moritz.
- Shuttle service to the Opening Ceremony
- Excellent buffet breakfast
- KempinSKI Pass (hotel ski pass)
- Spa voucher of CHF 50 and free access to Kempinski The Spa
- "Late check-out" according to availability, service and taxes (exclusive of tourist tax)
Bookable from 5-7 December 2014. From CHF 1,390 for two people.
The Jubilee Package includes:
- Three nights in a Classic Double Room, including a jubilee greeting and champagne from the kitchen and our excellent breakfast with regional and international delicacies
- As a gift, you will receive a jubilee voucher of CHF 150*
- A special highlight for both young and old is the romantic carriage ride through St Moritz overlooking the idyllic winter landscape
- The culinary highlight is the three-course dinner at Enoteca, a Mediterranean delight with selected wines and paired drinks
- The three-day KempinSKI pass offers endless hours on the slopes around St Moritz
- Bookable limousine transfer from Zurich or Milan airport is available upon request (starting from CHF 950 per way)
Bookable from 5 December 2014 until 6 March 2015, from CHF 1,986 for two people. Room upgrade to next category is bookable upon request and subject to availability. *Voucher redeemable at restaurants, bars and the spa at Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains (no cash alternative).
Pictures online: flickr.com/photos/stmoritz-engadin/collections/
Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains
The Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains is located right at the source of St. Moritz and only a few walking minutes from the famous lake with direct access to the slopes and Mountain bike trails at Corviglia. In 184 rooms & suites a great service is offered e.g. 24-hour room & Concierge service, babysitter service & special kids menus and bathrooms with heated floors. You will be spoiled in the awarded restaurants, in the Alpine Kempinski The Spa with indoor pool & extensive sauna landscape, Sport Shop & ski school and daylight banquet rooms with full technical equipment
Created in 1897, Kempinski Hotels is Europe’s oldest luxury hotel group. Kempinski’s rich heritage of impeccable personal service and superb hospitality is complemented by the exclusivity and individuality of its properties. Kempinski now manages a portfolio of 74 five-star hotels in 31 countries and continues to add new properties in Europe, the Middle East,
Africa and Asia. Each one reflects the strength and success of the Kempinski brand without losing sight of its heritage. The portfolio comprises historic landmark properties, award-winning urban lifestyle hotels, outstanding resorts, and prestigious residences. Each one is imbued with the quality guests have come to expect from Kempinski while embracing the cultural traditions of its location.
Kempinski is a founding member of the Global Hotel Alliance (GHA), the world’s largest alliance of independent hotel brands, which is celebrating its tenth anniversary in 2014.
For more information: