Perge, one of the chief cities of Pamphylia, was founded around 1000 B.C. It was sited inland as a defensive measure in order to avoid the pirate bands that terrorised this stretch of the Mediterranean. Its ruins include a theatre, a palæstra, a temple of Artemis and two churches. The very famous temple of Artemis was located outside the town. As recorded in the biblical book, St. Paul the Apostle and his companion St. Barnabas twice visited Perge during their first missionary journey, where they 'preached the word' before heading for and sailing from Attalia (modern-day Antalya city).