2014-11-26;The holiday season is fast approaching and what better way to welcome the holidays than with a sweet treat. Gather around the table this year and indulge in the Golden Baklava from the posh Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul kitchen. This sweet treat is sure to please all palates.
We invite you to test out this special recipe straight from the kitchen of the former Ottoman palace. Celebrate the holiday season with close friends and family, give thanks and welcome the New Year ahead.
Below is the delectable recipe from Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul’s kitchen to yours:
3 cups sugar, or 2 cups sugar and 1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 pound hazelnut, coarsely ground (about 4 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 pound (about 24 sheets) phyllo dough
About 1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter
1. To make the syrup: Stir the sugar, water, lemon juice, saffron, low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stop stirring, increase the heat to medium, and cook until the mixture is slightly syrupy, about 5 minutes (it will register 225 degrees on a candy thermometer).
2. To make the filling: Combine all the filling ingredients.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-by-9-inch or 13-by-9-inch baking pan or 15-by-10-
inch jelly roll pan.
4. Place a sheet of phyllo in the prepared pan and lightly brush with butter. Repeat with seven more
sheets. Spread with half of the filling. Top with eight more sheets, brushing each with butter. Use any
torn sheets in the middle layer. Spread with the remaining nut mixture and end with a top layer of eight
sheets, continuing to brush each with butter. Trim any overhanging edges.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut 6 equal lengthwise strips (about 1 3/4 inches wide) through the top layer
of pastry. Make 1 1/2-inch-wide diagonal cuts across the strips to form diamond shapes.
6. Just before baking, lightly sprinkle the top of the pastry with cold water. This inhibits the pastry
from curling. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300 degrees and bake until golden brown,
about 15 additional minutes.
7. Cut through the scored lines. Drizzle the hot syrup slowly over the hot baklava and let cool for at
least 4 hours.
8. Coated each pcs of baklava with gold leaves and serve in room temperature.
For additional information on Ciragan Palace Kempinski Istanbul, visit http://www.kempinski.com/en/istanbul/ciragan-palace/welcome/.