3,000 years ago, copper was already being mined in Jochberg and the surrounding area. The large number of abandoned mines, tools and mine dumps that have been found in the region show that natural resources have long been used intensively.
Over a length of 30 kilometres (18.6 miles), up to 1,800 tons of copper ore were once obtained in Jochberg each year. Until 1874, that copper was also being smelted. Up to 160 miners were employed in the mines until they were closed in 1926. Since their closing, the widespread abandoned mines and mine shafts have been left to themselves.
On 20 July 1990, it finally happened: after a long and intensive time of renovations, the “Kupferplatte” Copper Mine was finally opened to visitors. The Grubenbahn colliery railway takes you 150 metres (492 feet) into the mine and the mountain where the different mining methods, tools and gallery systems are explained.
The ride into Kupferberhaus Jochberg’s past begins: “Glück auf!”
Adults: EUR 8.00
Children: EUR 4.00
15 May until 15 October 2014
Daily tours are available every hour from 9:00am to 11:00am and from 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Each tour lasts approximately 30 minutes.