Umag-veduta2.jpgtitle="Umag Panorama " />


Umag is known nowadays as the town of tennis because it hosts many tennis camps. It presents “Croatia’s gateway to Europe” and has an interesting story to tell.

Today’s peninsula used to be an island, whose population moved to the current old town after the fall of the Roman Empire. In the 10th century, Umag was surrounded by walls with a town gate and draw-bridge, which are still partially preserved in the south-western part of town. The main town square is well worth seeing. There you can see the Parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Pelegrin (patron of Umag), which was built in 1760. There is also  a detached campanile, which is built in 1691 right next to the public cistern from 1677. Don’t forget to take a moment and enjoy the enchanting view of the narrow streets with old houses.

During the summer months, Umag and the entire North-west of Istria, transform into a large entertainment center which makes this region a popular tourist destination. The ATP Vegeta Croatia Open Umag tournament and the international festival of chamber theatre “Golden Lion” are some of the most popular events worth visiting.