Baron Georg Ernst Langwerth von Simmern passed away and three months later his wife Karoline von Erffa died. As they were childless Karoline’s mother sold the property to the Wiesbadener lawyer Leisler, who sold it on in the same year to Clemens August Graf von Westfalen.
Clemens August tore down the old knight fort and replaced it with the castle we know today.
He purchased the Rhine island situated in front of the castle and named it "Westfalen Aue". At the same time he designed and laid out the park.
Birth of Princess Marianne of Prussia
Johannes Wilhelm, the son of Marianne, was born. His father was Johannes van Rossum, who was Marianne’s coachman during her time in Prussia. Marianne, her partner and her son spent the following years in Italy and Erbach.
Marianne bought the property.
Johannes, her son, died from pneumonia.
He had celebrated Christmas in the castle. To honour him Marianne donated 60.000 Gulden to the Erbacher locals for a piece of ground, on which a church was to be constructed. The church was completed and Johannes buried under its altar. The church named after Johannes is today’s protestant church in Erbach.
Marianne died and was buried in Erbach in the churche's cemetery.
This unusual cultural visionary and progressive woman made Schloss Reinhartshausen a cultural centre of the Rhine. Prinzessin Marianne reconstructed part of the castle as a museum to house her collection of 600 paintings. The museum is known today as the Festsäle. The royal savoir-vivre of her life-style is the hallmark of the hospitality and ambience at Schloss Reinhartshausen today. The castle was always vibrant with many guests and Marianne encouraged young artists providing them accommodation.From her treasures 180 paintings, 110 drawings including watercolours and gouaches and various sculptures can be found in the hotel.
Her son prince Albrecht von Preussen inherited the property and managed it until 1906.
In honour of Marianne the island "Westfalen Aue" was renamed Mariannenaue.
up to 1940
Prince Friedrich Heinrich von Preussen, son of Prince Albrecht, owned the property.
Prince Waldemar von Preussen managed the property. He married Princess Calixta, but the marriage remained childless.
Ownership passed to Prince Friedrich von Preussen, son of the last crown prince.
He converted the middle part, the former museum, into a hotel.
His sons Prince Friedrich Nikolaus, Prince Andreas and Prince Ruppert, the last king’s grand-grand children, inherited the castle with its vineyards, wine cellars and the Rhine island Mariannenaue.
Family Leibbrand bought Schloss Reinhartshausen. A major restoration and the extension of the West wing were undertaken between the years 1987 and 1991. Willy Leibbrand transformed the former castle into an enchanting 5-star-hotel.
The "Freunde von Reinhartshausen", a group of investors, whose objective is to maintain and raise the quality, standards and awareness of the hotel, acquired the property in 1999.
Schloss Reinhartshausen celebrated its 200th anniversary.
In November 2001 Schloss Reinhartshausen and Kempinski formed a cooperative alliance.
Schloss Reinhartshausen and Kempinski signed a full "Management Contract".
Mariannen anniversary - 150 years ago Marianne von Preußen purchased the castle and created the special atmosphere and flair, which up to today can be found all over the hotel.
7 new suites and 2 rooms are added to the hotel complex and increase the total room capacity to 63.
Early 2013, the winery was sold to the family of winegrower Familie Lergenmüller from the Pfalz.
Since April 2013 Björn Volz is the new General Manager of the Hotel Schloss Reinhartshausen Kempinski and thus replaced the long-standing director, Mr. Thomas Bonanni.