wide header image

History

The history of Gravenbruch - originally known as "Krayenbruch" - can be tracked down to the beginning of the 15th century when it was first mentioned in 1401. In 1586 knight Sebastian of Heusenstamm built the "Gravenbrucher Hof" right in this place.

Approximately 130 years later in 1720, as it was the custom during the age of baroque, a hunting mansion was added and a coat of arms over the passage of the nowadays inner court is still reminding of its former splendour. In 1885 the hunting mansion was enlarged and changed into the restaurant "Forsthaus Gravenbruch", which became a popular destination of the Frankfurt aristocracy during the turn of the century. In 1907 a ballroom was built, a few guest rooms and also an outside cafe right under the ancient trees of the park.

During a heavy bomb attack in 1943 almost all of the Gravenbruch mansion was destroyed. Already a few years after World War II the buildings were restored by Count Rudolf of Schoenborn, whose family owned the hunting mansion and surrounding woods since 1661.
The restaurant opened its doors again in 1953 and was extended once more at the end of the 50's.

Right in the middle of the 60's they built up the new hotel wing in its own extensive park and in 1967 the first guests moved in. At this point of time the work on the lake and outdoor pool had started and also a few function rooms were built. Six years later an indoor pool was added to the leisure facilities.

In 1976 the Kempinski S.A. took over the leadership of the hotel. The official re-opening 1980 by the Hessian secretary of industry and commerce has gone ahead an extensive renovation and expansion. The room number went up from 92 to 317 rooms & suites and 3 restaurants were built, also an extensive bar, a ballroom for up to 600 people, 9 conference rooms, 2 tennis courts, a heated outdoor pool and a large leisure and fitness area.
There were also a few more changes during the next twenty years. Some suites were rebuilt as conference rooms, so nowadays there are 22 conference rooms - all with daylight - and 284 rooms and suites available.

Situated amid a historical building the "Biergarten Schoppenhof" (beer garden) offers Bavarian and Hessian cuisine in a both rustic and cosy atmosphere. It is open from May to September and offers various live entertainment every Sunday during the open-air season.

The Kempinski Hotel Frankfurt Gravenbruch , an international renowned luxury hotel, is proud of its 400 year old history and its very own and special atmosphere which has always enchanted its guests.