Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2015!
The Taschenbergpalais is a house with history. In the year 1705, August the Strong had the palace built for his mistress Anna Constantia Countess Cosel by the architects Christopher Beyer, Johann Friedrich Karcher and Matthew Daniel Pöppelmann.
In the same year, Countess Cosel moved into the “Haus am Taschenberg“. Eight years later she fell into disgrace and had to leave the palace on 13 December 1713.
Until the Second World War, the Palace was used in many different ways, including as a succession residence of the Elector Friedrich Christian. In addition, it was used as headquarters for many administration and insurance companies.
On 13 February 1945, the Taschenbergpalais was almost completely destroyed by the bombing of Dresden. The ruin was preserved as a memorial and laid idle for many years.
On 6 November 1992, the first sod for the reconstruction of the Taschenbergpalais was made. A year later, the construction and
the excavation of historic parts of the building, including arches and old foundations began. The new foundation stone was laid on
30 June 1993. In April 1994 the topping out ceremony was held and in January 1995, the Taschenbergpalais welcomed its first guests. Officially, the Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden celebrated its inauguration on 31 March 1995.
Since then, it has been restored to its full glory and as the first house on the square, it welcomes celebrities like Barack Obama, Queen Beatrix, Queen Silvia, Tom Hanks, Depeche Mode, Herbert Grönemeyer and many more.
© Sächsische Landes – Staats – und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden (SLUB) / Deutsche Fotothek /
Johann Carl August Richter (1785-1853): Taschenbergpalais, um 1845. Kolorierter Stich